Pear Tarte Tatin on the BBQ
Discover the sweetness of caramelized pears in this BBQ take on the French classic, with a hint of vanilla and orange.Variation: Experiment with a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom in the caramel, or try other fruits like apples or plums for a unique twist.Print Pin FB X
- Light the BBQ and let it heat up to a moderate temperature of 180°-200°C.
- Peel the pears, cut them into eighths and remove the core.
- Melt the butter in a BBQ-suitable, oven-safe pan on the BBQ. Add the cane sugar and stir continuously until the mixture turns golden brown and begins to caramelize.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Add the pears, vanilla seeds (from the vanilla pod cut lengthwise and scraped out) and orange zest to the pan, and mix gently to coat the pears with the caramel mixture.
- Warning: Use extreme caution to avoid getting burned on the hot caramel.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut it into a circle slightly larger than the pan.
- Place the dough over the pears and tuck in the edges around the pears.
- Place the pan back on the BBQ with the lid closed and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before carefully turning onto a plate and serving.