Refreshing Tomato Salad with Spicy Vinaigrette
Discover the rich flavors of summer with this classic tomato salad. Vary with different herbs and find your perfect match.Print Pin FB X
- 1 tomato knife
- If desired, you can emhem the tomatoes : cut a small cross at the bottom of each tomato and submerge them in boiling water for 10-20 seconds. Then move them to a bowl of cold water and peel off the skin.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices or wedges with a tomato knife.
- Arrange the tomato slices or wedges on a plate or platter.
- Chop the onion finely or or into long strips. Spread over the tomatoes.
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey (or maple syrup) in a small bowl. Mix well with a whisk until the ingredients are well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Just before serving
- Pour the vinaigrette over the tomatoes.
- If you use basil, add it to the salad.
There are several herbs you can use to add variety to your tomato salad. Here are some classic and possible variations:
- Basil: This herb is a classic choice for tomato salads due to its sweet and slightly tangy flavor that pairs well with the freshness of the tomatoes.
- Parsley: Parsley adds a light and grassy flavor to the salad, which can be a nice contrast to the sweetness of the tomatoes.
- Mint: Mint can add a fresh and aromatic touch to your tomato salad, which is especially refreshing in the summer.
- Oregano: This is another classic herb that is often used in tomato dishes, thanks to its earthy and slightly tangy flavor.
- Thyme: Thyme has a subtle, woody flavor that pairs well with the simplicity of the tomatoes and vinaigrette.
- Tarragon: Tarragon has a slight anise flavor that can add an interesting twist to your tomato salad.
- Cilantro: For a more citrusy and tangy flavor, cilantro can be a great option.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has a strong, resinous flavor, so it’s best to use it sparingly.